Sunday, December 9, 2007

A Taste of Home for Hubby

My MIL didn't cook much when my husband was young. He grew up on canned soups, stews, veggies, TV dinners and KFC. A lot of KFC, oh, and Taco John's six pack and a pound. When there was a home cooked meal (excluding holidays), it was actually made by his father. I honestly cannot picture Andy cooking, let alone it being edible, but apparently he did!

Andy's (my FIL) family is from Poland. My husband actually addressed his grandma as Bobsha, which he *thinks* means grandma in Polish. My FIL and his mother would converse in Polish when together and although my husband knows no Polish what-so-ever, he does remember the stew my FIL used to cook. Well, finally my MIL gave us the recipe and so we made it together over the weekend.

It was acutally a lot of fun. My husband peeled the potatoes and carrots while I diced everything. He stirred while I added ingredients. He dried the dishes after I washed them. It was very nice. We haven't worked together in the kitchen for a long time. I hope this is a tradition with this soup we can keep. It was delicious! I wasn't too worried about points for this but when I figured this, it wasn't too bad. Definitely not an every week item but it was very tasty!




Polish Stew
(source: MIL)

1 lb Beef Polish sausage, sliced and boiled before adding to stew
2 tbsp butter
1 medium onion, diced
2 cups celery, diced
3 cups potatoes, diced
2 cups carrots, diced
1/2 tsp thyme
dash of salt
2 tbsp vinegar
5 cubes beef bouillon
5 cups water
4 cups shredded cabbage

Boil sliced sausage in about 3 inches boiling water for about 10-13 minutes. In large stockpot, melt butter over low heat. Add sausage, onions and celery and simmer until onions are clear, stirring occaisionally.

Add all other ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until carrots and potatoes are tender, about 30 minutes.

The recipe states it serves up to 12, but we have appetites so we figured it to be 8 servings.

POINTS per serving: 8

No comments: