Monday, October 1, 2007

Easy and Cheap! My Kind of Supper!



Have you ever noticed that eating "healthy" is not exactly cheap? I think that is the hardest part of changing our lifestyle to a more healthier way of living, is the cost! Our grocery bill has increased in the last 2 months since joining WW. It's totally worth it of course! I am almost to my 10% weight loss (keeping my fingers crossed for this week!) but man is the budget showing a little wear. That is why I am so excited when I come across recipes that are very healthy but so affordable. This made the perfect Sunday dinner with plenty of leftovers (which got left out overnight=bummer!). I think I was inspired by Giada's Citrus Chicken recipe I found last Christmas, butI have adapted and changed it to fit our tastes and what we have on hand. This is a great fall meal and sure hit the spot!

Garlic Lemony Roasted Chicken

3 lb whole chicken, cleaned and giblets/neck removed
1 lemon
1 cluster of garlic
salt and pepper
onion powder

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Clean chicken and pat dry. Spray baking dish with olive oil spray. Rub salt and pepper on chicken, and in cavaty of chicken as well. Cut garlic cloves open and stuff inside the chicken. Cut lemon in half and stuff 1/2 of that in the chicken as well. Drizzle the remaining lemon half over the chicken. Bake 1 to 2 hours, depending on your chicken (mine cooked about 1 hour 40 minutes).

The chicken was falling off of the bone and was so juicy! Lemony and garlicy. You could add even more lemon or sprinkle with lemon pepper seasoning. Delish!

Total POINTS: 4 per serving

We served this with broccoli and brown rice. Yum!

No comments: