Sunday, August 19, 2007

Parmesan Chicken and Rice - WW friendly!


I was looking for new ways to use up this huge bag of frozen chicken strips my parents gave us and came across my friend Amber's blog. This recipe used bite size chicken, rice, cheese and it was a one dish meal....what could be better!! Because it was a Cooking Light recipe, it was already healthy, but I altered it just a bit to save a couple of POINTS. It was delicious! I took Amber's advice of adding some red pepper flakes for a little kick and it was awesome! I barely have enough for lunch tomorrow after my husband got through with it, always a good sign of a successful meal. Here is my recipe with the alterations I made. The original recipe can be seen by clicking the link below the recipe.

Parmesan Chicken and Rice
(Source: Amber's Delectable Delights)


Ingredients
2 tsp olive oil
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast, diced
1/4 cup dry white wine
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 cup uncooked instant brown rice
1 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
1/2 cup (2 ounces) grated fresh Parmesan cheese
1 tsp dried parsley

Preparation

Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion, garlic, thyme, and mushrooms; sauté 5 minutes or until onion is tender. Add chicken; sauté 4 minutes or until the chicken is lightly browned. Add wine, salt, and pepper; cook 3 minutes or until liquid almost evaporates. Stir in rice and broth. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Stir in cheese and parsley.

Yield 4 servings (serving size: about 1 cup)

Total POINTS: 7


We served this with broccoli that we steamed in the microwave using the new Ziploc Zip and Steam bags. It worked perfectly! These bags are awesome. Not only are they good for fresh or frozen veggies, but you can make whole meals in them including meat! Too cool! They were in the same aisle as the other ziploc bags and were under $3.00 for 10. I highly suggest checking them out.

1 comment:

~Amber~ said...

Yummmy, I am glad that you enjoyed it. I am glad the red pepper flakes did the trick!