Sunday, December 23, 2007

A Christmas Classic...Peanut Butter Blossoms

I seem to only make these at Christmas time and I haven't a clue why! I should make these more often but then I suppose they wouldn't be so special.....right? My husband loves these cookies and he gets so excited when he sees me unwrapping the bag of kisses. I do this instead of buying the pre-unwrapped ones because I am cheap. :o) Today though I got busy in the kitchen before Peter crawled out of bed so he wasn't able to get excited with the unwrapping of the kisses, instead he was greeted with fresh from the oven cookies! What a great breakfast! I did alter the recipe to fit our needs (ie: more WW friendly).




Peanut Butter Blossoms
(Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook)

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large mixing bowl beat shortening and peanut butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add the 1/2 cup granulated sugar, brown sugar, baking powder, and baking soda. Beat until combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Beat in egg, milk, and vanilla until combined. Beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer. Stir in any remaining flour.

2. Shape dough into 1-inch balls. Roll balls in the 1/4 cup granulated sugar. Place 2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until edges are firm and bottoms are lightly browned. Immediately press a chocolate kiss into each cookie's center. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool. Makes 54.

3. To store: Place in layers separated by waxed paper in an airtight container; cover. Store at room temperature for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.

POINTS Per Cookie: 2 POINTS

No comments: