Friday, October 26, 2007

A Fall Favorite - Beef Stew!

I love this time of year. The air is chillier, I get to wear my warm sweaters, and I am constantly covered with my favorite Scooby Doo blankie on the couch for a good four months. :o) One of my favorite dinners to warm me up is beef stew. My husband is not that fond of stew, but I love it. I found this recipe from the WW cookbook, Turn Around Program Cookbook, and adapted it to fit our needs. It was very yummy! Next time I make this though, I will not use frozen veggies, like I did this time. The potatoes turned out mushy and the texture of them kinda grossed us out. Had I not been lazy, I woud have chopped up my own veggies! It was still good though! I don't have any pics of it as of right now but I will hopefully be able to add some when I eat my left overs (my camera batteries were dead).

Beef and Veggie Stew
(Source: Turn Around Program Cookbook)

1 lb lean round steak, trimmed and cut into bite size cubes
1/2 onion, chopped
1 1/2 cup beef broth
chopped carrots, celery, potatoes (any veggies you want to get rid of really!)
10 oz frozen peas
1 cup crushed tomatoes
1 tsp thyme
1 tsp rosemary
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp garlic powder

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Heat dutch oven on medium heat. Spray with nonstick spray. Add steak and brown about 5 minutes. Add onions, saute about 5 minutes. Add all veggies except peas. Stir and saute about 5 minutes more. Add beef broth and crushed tomatoes, and seasoning. Put in oven and cook for 1 hour 15 minutes, stir once during this time. Add peas and cook in oven another 15 minutes. Serve!

Total POINTS: 5 per 1 1/2 cup serving (this was a lot for me to eat but oh so good!)

We served this with reduced fat crescent rolls (2 POINTS each).

No comments: