Sunday, October 28, 2007

Cleaning Out the Cupboards...Our Favorite Dish



Awhile back we were cleaning out the cupboards to make a meal. We didn't feel like going to the store and we found egg noodles, enchillada sauce, chiles, hamburger, cheese, diced tomatoes, beef broth and mushrooms. We could either make stroganoff OR a kind of mexican-ish dish. Well, my husband isn't a fan of stroganoff so I worked my magic and made what is now one of our favorite dishes. Who woulda thought! Since joining WW, I made this dish just a little more POINT-friendly. It wasn't too bad to begin with actually! It isn't a pretty dish but it sure is good!

Trisha's Taco Casserole
(source: Trisha!)

1 lb lean hamburger
6 oz NO-YOLK egg noodles
1 small can enchillada sauce
4 oz can diced chiles
1 small onion, diced
2 tbsp taco seasoning
2/3 cup reduced fat cheddar cheese
1 can diced tomatoes (I used petite)
1/4 cup crushed tomatoes (I had them left over)
1 oz Doritos (I used regular, but BAKED would be fine too, may even lower point value by 1)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Boil noodles to al dente. Meanwhile, spray skillet with PAM and add hamburger and diced onion. Drain when browned. Drain noodles, and add them and the chiles to the skillet. Heat through and add enchillada sauce, diced tomatoes, crushed tomatoes, and 1/2 of the cheese.

Sprinkle with the rest of the cheese. Spray cheese with nonstick spray (just a bit). This helps with the low fat cheese melting (it works I swear!). Bake about 15 minutes, until cheese melts and it's all gooey. If you don't have an oven safe skillet, you can do this on the stove top (covered). Top with crushed Doritos and serve.

1 1/2 cup serving: 7 POINTS

This is a huge dish. I figured it to serve at least 7 people. My husband had two HUGE scoops of casserole, I had a cup and a half and there was still a TON left. Sometimes we have this with a side of FF refried beans but we just had that last night at On the Border.

No comments: