Monday, September 3, 2007
Sweet Tooth = Fulfilled!
There were just way too many good looking recipes in the September issue of Cooking Light this month. I didn't know which to try first! I was craving something sweet and chocolatey this weekend and decided to try the Fudgy Mocha Toffee Brownies. The great thing about this recipe is that I had everything on hand already, except the toffees! You would seriously NEVER know this was a light recipe, or even WW friendly! But they are!!! The most important thing to remember is that you need to watch portion sizing. The recipe states that 20 little brownies should be produced from a 8x8 pan... At first, I thought this was insane, but really that is all you need. These are rich!! I will definitely try this recipe again (and again, and again, and again!).
Fudgy Mocha Toffee Brownies
(Source: September 2007 Cooking Light)
2 tbsp instant coffee granules
1/4 cup hot water
1/4 cup butter (I used margarine and it was fine)
1/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 1/2 cups AP flour
1 1/3 cups sugar
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
2 large eggs
1/4 cup toffee chips
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. Coat bottom of a 8x8 pan with spray.
3. Combine coffee granules with hot water, stir until the granules are dissolved. (this took a few minutes)
4. Combine butter and chocolate chips. Microwave on HIGH for 1 minute until butter melts; stir until chocolate is smooth.
5. Combine flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk.
6. Combine coffee mixture, butter/chocolate chip mixture, vanilla and eggs in a medium bowl, stirring with a whisk.
7. Add wet mixture to dry ingredients. Stir until well combined. **the batter was really thick**
8. Spread evenly into pan and sprinkle evenly with toffee chips. Bake for 22 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
Yields: 20 servings