Tuesday, September 11, 2007

I'm Ready for Fall!


Apples!! I love apple time! This recipe is straight off the press from the WW Best Ever Desserts recipe book. I don't know exactly how long this recipe book has been out but my WW center just got it in about 2 weeks ago. I highly recommend this book! It's full of cookies, breads, cakes, pies, brownies, and more.

I decided to try this recipe so that I would have something different for breakfast besides my usual Eggo Nutrigrain waffles or peanut butter toast. This muffins are so tasty, you would never know they were a WW recipe!

Apple Spice Streusel Topped Muffins
(Source: WW Best Ever Desserts)

Streusel Topping:
3 tbsp flour
3 tbsp light brown sugar
1 tbsp canola oil
1/2 tsp apple pie spice or cinnamon (I used cinnamon)

Muffins:
2 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp apple pie spice or cinnamon (I used cinnamon)
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/2 cup plain fat free yogurt
2 tbsp canola oil
2 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
1 large egg
1 Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored and diced

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line 12 cup muffin pan with spray or liners.

To make streusel, combine the streusel ingredients in a small bowl until moistened, set aside.

To make muffins, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, apple pie spice or cinnamon, and salt in a large bowl. Whisk together the brown sugar, applesauce, yogurt, oil, melted butter, and egg in a medium bowl. Add the applesauce mixture to the dry mixture, stir until just combined.

Fill the muffin cups evenly with batter. Sprinkle evenly with the streusel, pressing lightly so it adheres. Bake until a toothpick into the center of a muffin to check for doneness, about 15-20 minutes. Let cool in the pan for 5 minutes. Remove and let cool about 15 minutes longer. Serve warm.

Per Serving: Calories: 206 Fat: 6 Fiber: 1

Total POINTS: 4

No comments: