Monday, September 17, 2007

Baked Ziti...healthy? Oh Yeah!



As I have mentioned before, my husband's favorite meal is spaghetti. Mine...not so much! However, I could eat baked ziti anytime. I am not sure if it's the cheesey goodness that usually is layered throughout and melted on top....yeah, that is probably it! I had accepted the fact that I couldn't have baked ziti while on WW, but it is possible! And I was even able to have 1 1/2 servings...yum! I found this recipe on WW etools and altered it a bit to include more meat and whole wheat noodles.

Baked Ziti
(Source: WW etools)

12 oz whole wheat ziti noodles
1 lb ground beef, extra lean
28 oz can crushed tomatoes
healthy pinches of dried basil, oregano, and thyme
little pinches of garlic and onion powder
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 small onion, diced
1 tsp olive oil
1 cup low fat mozzerella cheese **I used cheddar because that is all we had...it was AWESOME!**


Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In skillet, heat oil and add garlic and onions. Saute for about 3-4 minutes. Add hamburger to the skillet and brown the meat. Meanwhile, cook noodles according to package directions. In skillet, add spices and saute about 2 minutes. Add the crushed tomatoes and bring to a gentle boil. Reduce heat and simmer about 5 minutes. In casserole dish, spread some tomato mixture in the bottom (light layer). Spoon drained noodles in bottom to make an even layer. Spread the tomato mixture over the noodles and sprinkle 1/2 the cheese over the sauce. Repeat the layers: noodles, tomato mixture and cheese on top. Bake for about 30 minute until cheese is bubbly and browned.

POINTS per 1 cup serving: 5

No comments: