Monday, July 2, 2007

Cream Cheese Chicken - Spicy Style



The notorious CCC from the What's Cooking board on thenest.com is one of my favorite meals. My husband likes it well enough but he isn't too much of a sauce person. I however LOVE this meal. It uses everyday items, which I love, and it's quick and requires one pan to cook the main dish. There were many reviews of this recipe that said it was too bland, but I have altered it to our tastes that it could not be confused with bland! Although it looks like I am going overboard with the red pepper flakes, I assure you I am not. It turns out a little spicy but with a lot of flavor. It is perfect served over white rice (or brown). I like eating the rice with the sauce almost as much as eating the chicken! I always make extra sauce, which means I have almost a whole can of chicken broth left over. I always use that to cook chicken later on in the week so it doesn't go to waste. Here is my version of the CCC, originally posted by nestie MaryEllen .

Cream Cheese Chicken

3 chicken breasts
1 1/3 cup chicken broth
Red Pepper Flakes
1 green pepper, sliced or chopped (depends on my mood!)
4 cloves garlic, minced
Cajun seasoning
Salt and Pepper
6 oz cream cheese (I use light and use the leftover on my bagel the next day)
2 tbls flour
1 tbls olive oil

Heat oil in large skillet. Season chicken with salt, pepper and cajun seasoning. Add to skillet. Sear both sides for about 3 minutes each, add the garlic and red pepper flakes to taste (you will add more later). Swish around the garlic and turn chicken again. Add the one can of chicken broth and green peppers. Sprinkle again with red pepper flakes to taste. Allow to simmer for about 25 minutes, swishing occaisionally.

Mix flour and remaining chicken broth together in separate cup. When chicken is done, remove from pan and put a piece of foil over to keep warm. Mix in flour mixture. When combined, mix in cream cheese and stir constantly until cream cheese is melted and bubbly. Add more red pepper flakes and cajun seasoning after a taste test. Add chicken back to pan and cover chicken with sauce. Serve with rice. :o)

1 comment:

Deborah said...

Yum, is there anything better than "smothered" stuff? Looks delish!