Sunday, March 9, 2008

Pasta Primavera - 100th Post!

Well, after 9 months I have finally gotten to my 100th post! I was hoping for my 100th post to be something elaborate and impressive...well, this was a pretty impressive dish but only took about 20 minutes to prepare. I'm fine with that! I am now about 12 weeks pregnant and so cooking is finally starting to become more appealing. Hopefully there will be more frequent blog updates to come. I saw this recipe done on Robin Miller, ironically enough, while I was home sick from work. usually turn the station when Robin comes on, but her line up sounded interesting so I watched it. This is one of our favorite pasta dishes now! It was delicious. So easy, light, and fast to prepare. I have my changes listed in green.





Pasta Primavera
(source: Robin Miller)

1 pound penne pasta
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 cup chopped red onion
3 to 4 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups broccoli florets
1 cup sliced carrots *I omitted*
1 cup sliced mushrooms *I omitted*
2 cooked chicken breast halves, diced (about 2 cups)
1 cup diced roasted red peppers
1 (14-ounce) can diced tomatoes
1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
1/2 cup frozen green peas, thawed
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/3 cup grated Parmesan
1/4 cup freshly chopped basil leaves *I omitted*


Cook penne according to package directions. Drain and set aside.

In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic and cook 3 minutes, until soft. Add broccoli, carrots and mushrooms and cook 3 minutes, until mushrooms soften. Add chicken, red peppers, tomatoes, and broth and bring to a simmer. Stir in penne and peas cook 2 minutes to heat through and season, to taste, with salt and black pepper. Transfer mixture to a serving plate and top with Parmesan and basil. I drizzled the pan with a little more EVOO, to help hold it together. She did this on the show but it is not listed in the recipe.


No comments: