Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Sausage and Peppers - Mixed Reviews




I tried one of the WW recipes out of my new cookbook tonight for supper and it was eh. I loved it except the turkey sausage was way too spicy. I think it would be great if you mixed some of the sausage with maybe regular ground turkey. For a few extra points, adding some noodles and diced tomatoes would make this more filling. My husband just wasn't full from this because he could eat the sausage because our tongues were on fire. Here is the recipe though and some pics. It had great flavor and like I said lots of potential, I will make it again with some modifications!

Sausage and Peppers
(source: Weight Watchers Complete Cookbook)


1 lb turkey sausage, whole sliced or ground and formed into large chunks
1 each red, yellow and green peppers, sliced
1 onion, sliced
1/4 cup chicken broth
3 garlic cloves, diced
1 tsp red pepper flakes
1 tsp dried oregano (I didn't measure, so I am sure I used more!)
Cooking spray

Heat cooking spray in skillet, add sausage and cook until done. Add peppers, onion, garlic, oregano, red pepper flakes, and chicken broth. Stir and combine the peppers and sausage. Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring around. Cover and cook for about 5 more minutes until peppers are tender but yet crisp.


I served this with baby potatoes. I didn't want to turn on the oven to roast them so I tried something a little different...


Sauted Potatoes

6-8 baby red potatoes
2 tsp olive oil
dried oregano
red pepper flakes
1 garlic clove, diced
chopped parsley


Boil potatoes until not quite fork tender. Add 2 tsp to a skillet and add potatoes and garlic. Stir to cover potatoes in oil. Sprinkle oregano and pepper flakes over taters and saute for about 5-7 minutes until tender but not falling apart. Sprinkle with parsley.

No comments: