Monday, June 25, 2007

Spaghetti and Meatballs - Peter's Favorite (Not Mine!)





Peter's favorite meal in the entire world is spaghetti and meatballs. Blech. It is definitely NOT my favorite, but I make it for him every two weeks. I think my strong dislike for spaghetti and meatballs came from eating it a lot when I was little. My mom and I were often on our own for supper because my dad worked at night, and since it is so affordable, we ate a lot of it. I have started jazzing it up a little though and that has helped me stomach a small portion. I have tried making my own sauce but my husband requested Prego, "because it's not chunky." LOL! So here is our spaghetti method (no recipe since the sauce if from a jar!) and meatball recipe. I do like the meatballs and that is what I would normally get full on. This time, since the recipe makes so many, I froze half of the meatballs so next time I just have to reheat them.

Spaghetti and Meatballs

1 box spaghetti noodles
1 jar of Prego Traditional Sauce

Meatballs
(adapted from Kraftfoods.com)

1/3 cup Italian-style bread crumbs
1/4 cup milk
1 lb. lean ground beef
1/2 cup KRAFT 100% Grated Parmesan Cheese, divided
1/4 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. black pepper

Handful of asiago, and Parmesan blend cheese.

Cook noodles to al dente consistency. As the noodles are close to being done, place sauce in pan and begin to simmer on low.

For Meatballs:
Measure bread crumbs into medium bowl. Stir in milk. Let stand 15 min. Add meat, 1/4 cup of the cheese, handful of the blend cheese, the salt and pepper; mix well.
Preheat oven to 350°F. Shape meat mixture into 1-inch balls. Place in single layer in foil-lined 15x10x1-inch baking pan.
Bake 20 min. or until meatballs are cooked through. Meanwhile, heat pasta sauce in small saucepan on medium heat. Transfer meatballs to sauce; add cooked noodles, toss with tongs. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.

We served this with some garlic toast and a salad. Spaghetti is growing on me a little, since we've discovered this recipe for the meatballs!

No comments: