Thursday, June 21, 2007

A Different Kind of Roast - Pork!?


I have a confession...I have never had a pork roast before. NEVER! When selecting a roast to cook for this week, we decided to try a pork butt roast...not for just the name (it made us giggle) but it was on sale and we had never had a pork roast before. I was going to make it in the crock pot, as I usually do with my beef roasts but yesterday I just didn't have time to do that. Instead I used our oven. The plus side to this is that I didn't have to prepare it 6-8 hours in advance...the downside was that it made the house very hot. It turned out yummy though and it was super simple.

Trisha's Butt Roast

3-4 lb. pork butt roast
kosher salt
fresh ground black pepper
garlic salt
olive oil
1 lb baby red potatoes
1 lb carrots, cut into 2-3 in pieces

Heat oven to 325 degrees.

Heat oil in pan. Apply salt and pepper generously to the outside of roast. Place in pan to sear on all sides. Drizzle olive oil in roasting dish and place roast on top. Roast for 1 1/2 hours and then add carrots and potatoes to pan. Drizzle veggies with a little more olive oil (not much, just a bit). Toss to coat in pan juices and oil. Sprinkle salt and pepper over the veggies. Roast for another hour or so until veggies are tender. Let roast stand 10 minutes before enjoying.


We had so much left over! We made BBQ Pork Sandwiches with the leftovers. I simmered the shredded leftovers with a bottle of BBQ sauce in a saucepan for about 1 1/2 hours. I could have used the crock pot for this too I suppose, but I didn't want to dig it out. We served it with a Italian pasta salad. I have even more left over for lunch tomorrow! I do not have a picture of the sandwiches because we were starving and impatient to eat! LOL!

1 comment:

Thistlemoon said...

Roast pork rocks the house! YUM!

Welcome to the Foodie Blogroll!